Perspective on a Snowy Day

12:34 PM

It snowed today....Tommy's away on business....the baby won't sleep....and I've got about a thousand hours of editing and shooting to squeeze into this week. But when I saw Sydney's face brighten at the sight of the falling snow, I couldn't resist fitting her into a make-shift snow suit and watch as she ran around the yard in pure bliss. I'm not exactly a huge fan of snow and winter, but I'm trying not to pass that on to Sydney, if I can help it.


But as I started snapping a few pictures, Max began screaming, and the dog ran into the house, tracking in huge muddy footprints all over the carpet. I got down on my hands and knees to try and scrub the entire living room floor, crying and blubbering in anger and frustration about the dog, the screaming baby, and the mounds of tasks I needed to get done. That's when I felt tiny arms around my back, and Sydney's little voice saying, "Ok, Mommy, ok...Daddy home lil' bit..." [then some gibberish] "...Santa coming lil' bit! Bring...Mommy...present!" I looked up at her and thought, "Wow. How did I get so lucky?" Sydney is my little sunshine on gloomy days. I feel so undeserving, and I want to be a better mommy for her.

This year has been a whirlwind with my photography business and transitioning to having two kids. I want to slow things down a bit for 2011. I'm not one of those super-moms that can do it all. While I've loved my clients and fun shoots, I love my family even more. I rarely get to see my wonderful friends and family around here, because I'm so overloaded. Starting January, I will only be taking one session per week, and two weddings per month. I want to play more, work less. Write in my journal and blog more, write less to-do lists. Cuddle more, sit still more, serve more, and enjoy this journey, instead of surviving in a blur.

Thank you, Sydney, for being a good little reminder of the important things in life. :)

Syd Snow_0014

Syd Snow_0009

Syd Snow_0020

Syd Snow_0002

You Might Also Like

8 comments

Subscribe