Her Big Day

1:35 AM

Sydney's birthday was such a blast from start to finish. I loved having my special time with her throughout the day doing little things she loves. I can't believe how lucky I am to have her in my life. 

She woke me up in the morning so happy and excited, knowing it was her special day (we've only been talking about it non-stop for the past 6 months). :)

As was tradition in my home growing up, we went straight to the grocery store to pick out Sydney's favorite cereal. 

She chose "Yucky Charms"

then we got ready for the day :)

Tommy surprised her during his lunch break and took her on a special date to McDonald's Play Place, and afterwards gave her a present of a whole set of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Pez.

We later met up with Kathleen, who spoiled her with a big girl purse, notebook, and pen. The rest of the day she scribbled down notes and pictures very seriously.

Sydney and I (sorry, Max was along for the day, but is a little ignored in the photos) spent the afternoon in the mall getting soft pretzels, milkshakes, and then Mommy's surprise....

a trip to Build-A-Bear. She was in awe at all the stuffed animals (she's a fan...you should see her mountain of fluffy friends on her bed). She chose this little horse.

She was a little shy and quiet with the workers through all the steps, but she kept turning to me and Max and giving us big, tight hugs.

She helped stuff, sew, and clean up her new animal. I think Max wants to come here on his birthday in a couple months.

As I was taking her to the register to finish and pay, she passed by dozens of outfits and accessories for the animals, and when I heard her little voice say "Horsey need dress?" I couldn't say no. Yeah, they know how to sucker you in....but I just about cried, the whole experience was so sweet!

She picked out a ballerina dress and gave her horsey the name: "Ballerina"


In the evening we headed to the our town's carnival. There are few things in the world I love more than a carnival, and I think Sydney is starting to feel the same. 

This is a "Mommy, I'd rather play on the rides than pose for your camera" cheese face.


Max watched his cool big sister on the rides. Perhaps next year he'll join her on the ladybug.




There were a couple rides that didn't go over too well. She doesn't have much tolerance for loud noises. When she went on the caterpillar ride she screamed like I've never heard her scream. But I think I ended up crying even more than she did, especially when the worker wouldn't stop the ride (those darn carnies!).

 After cheering up (she was fine within seconds....me, well Tommy calmed me down) we gave Max his first bite of cotton candy goodness. The confused smile on his face made us all feel better.

We came home and opened up a present from Grandma and ate birthday cake that Sydney picked out that morning. 

You guessed it...Rapunzel.

And to end the night, another tradition of reading Dr. Seuss' classic, Happy Birthday To You.

After all the sugar, we were having a hard time sitting still for the whole story. :)

We went to bed with sugar in our bellies, a smile on our faces, and Sydney as a THREE year old! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Subscribe