visiting home

8:08 AM

While I was sick and nauseas I got the chance to visit my mom in California for a couple weeks in March. I needed a break to get some sun, some healthy home-cooked food, and help with my energetic kids. In my mind I envisioned us going out on adventures every day, but I mostly just stayed curled up on the couch while my mom slaved away making meals and chasing Max. I broke my big toe after just a couple days of arriving, so that didn't help my immobile state. I am so grateful for such a kind and selfless mother!

After a long winter, Max and Sydney were so excited to see SUNSHINE! After we landed and were driving from the airport, Sydney yelled out in her carseat "Look! Green leaves!" as she pointed to the trees and rolling hills.

 Within just a few minutes after walking into my mom's house, Max and Sydney stripped off their clothes and played outside in the warm sun, splashing in water and caking themselves in mud.
My wonderful Grandma, who lives with my mom and dad, is one of the sweetest, most patient people on earth, and has an amazing gift with children (she used to be a child psychologist). She was so attentive to Max and Sydney the entire time. Sydney, especially, developed a special bond with her, wanting to play for hours with "Great Grandma" (and my Grandma never let me tell Sydney to give her a break!). Here she is letting Sydney fill her hands with mud.


Snuggling up to a movie together. This is the first time Max has ever done this.

My mom let Sydney do everything with her. She knows the mind and curiosity of a 3-yr-old! Sydney was in heaven with so much to do and explore. After a couple months of being cooped up with a sick mommy on the couch all day, this was a much-needed break for her, as much as it was for me.

My goal is to get a piano this year! I miss playing SO much. This piano served as a therapeutic tool all my life growing up as I'd sit and compose little tunes. And I'm not the only one who's a fan of this fun instrument.

While I rested on the couch, my mom took Sydney on lots of walks - rain or shine!

my Grandma was so helpful in keeping an extra eye on Sydney and Max...especially when one of them is quick and sneaky and never wants to stay in one spot :)

they loved playing with Mickey and munching on the all the fresh fruits, veggies, and edible plants in the yard

We did go out on a fun adventure-filled day towards the end of the trip. We spent a few hours at the Santa Barbara zoo, followed by the beach. Sydney couldn't wait to see the giraffes.

sliding down the grass hill in the kid play section


I love this zoo, because it brings back so many memories from my childhood



Sydney was very serious about following the map

left: the kids look pooped after a long fun visit to the zoo
right: my mom chasing Max around most of the time, so I'm sure she was the most exhausted!

         We stopped by a beach on the way home. Sydney is always quick-as-lighting to throw off her clothes.


while Sydney dug in the sand, Max kept trying to sneak handfuls to his mouth



I love my sweet mama!

 and I love California :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe